The Marine Department is staffed by well-qualified and experienced
professional and technical officers. We provide a wide spectrum
of services which can be broadly classified into six areas, each
of which is headed by an Assistant Director:
- Planning and Services - strategic planning for port development, port security administration, cross-boundary ferry terminals, pollution control, public cargo working areas , aids to navigation and mooring , hydrographic services
- Port Control - port operations,
navigational safety, marine emergencies, search and rescue co-ordination,
licensing and control of local craft
- Multi-lateral Policy - marine accident investigation, and the development of policies, standards
- Shipping - the Hong
Kong Shipping Register, enforcement of ship safety standards, surveys of foreign-going ships, examination, certification and discipline of seafarers
- Local Vessels - marine industrial safety, local vessel safety and survey, regulation of local vessels.
- Government Fleet - design, procurement,
operation, crewing and maintenance of government vessels.
Administration, human resource management,finance and accounting and publish relations support to the operational divisions is provided by the Administration Branch, the Finance Branch and the Information and Public Relations Section in the departmental headquarters.
To ensure the efficiency in carrying out the various services, we
maintain close consultation with shipping and commercial interests
in the port through a number of advisory committees. We are also
represented in Europe by the Marine Adviser in London Office, who
maintains close liaison with the International Maritime Organisation
and other related bodies.
Working Hours and Five-day Week Arrangement
Contact Point After Office Hours