The Marine department is staffed by well-qualified and experienced professional and technical officers. We provide a wide spectrum of services which can be broadly classified into six areas, each of which is headed by an Assistant Director:
- Port Control - port operations, navigational safety, marine emergencies, search and rescue co-ordination, licensing and control of local craft.
- Local Vessels and Examination - marine industrial safety, local vessel safety and survey, regulation of local vessels, examination, certification and discipline of seafarers.
- Multi-lateral Policy - marine accident investigation, and the development of policies, standards and legislation.
- Shipping - the Hong Kong Shipping Register, enforcement of international convention standards, surveys of foreign-going ships.
- Government Fleet - design, procurement, operation, crewing and maintenance of government vessels.
- Planning and Services - strategic planning for port development, port security administration, cross-boundary ferry terminals, pollution control, public cargo working areas, aids to navigation and mooring, hydrographic services.
Administration, human resource management,finance and accounting and publish relations support to the operational divisions is provided by the Administration Branch, the Finance Branch and the Information and Public Relations Section in the departmental headquarters.
To ensure the efficiency in carrying out the various services, we maintain close consultation with shipping and commercial interests in the port through a number of advisory committees. We are also represented in Europe by the Marine Adviser in London Office, who maintains close liaison with the International Maritime organisation and other related bodies.
Working Hours and Five-day Week Arrangement
Contact Point After Office Hours