A dynamic petroleum oil spill response team equipped with both surface spill recovery and chemical dispersing systems
- Pollution Control Unit is responsible for preventing and cleaning up oil discharges into sea and harbour cleansing services. It regularly inspects vessels bunkering/transferring oil in Hong Kong waters and advises the masters on the precautions to be taken.
- It also checks oil terminals to ensure that their anti-oil pollution equipment is in good order.
- It is on call 24 hours a day. Reports of oil discharges can be made to the Police or to the Vessel Traffic Centre (Tel (852)2233-7801) or to the Marine Emergency Centre (Tel (852)2233-7999)
- It operates a fleet of specialised refuse collection vessels, including three Sea Cleaners, and about 80 contractor vessels to provide a refuse scavenging and collection service.
- A total of about 12,000 tonnes of floating refuse and about 4,000 tonnes of domestic refuse from vessels are collected annually. Littering the waters of Hong Kong is an offence and liable to a fine of HK$10,000 and 6 months imprisonment.
- A 24-hour hotline (Tel (852)1823) has been established for complaints about floating refuse and receiving reports on matters concerning marine littering and floating refuse.
Use of the Chemical Waste Treatment Centre at Tsing Yi for disposal of oily and chemical wastes (MARPOL waste)
- We are one in keeping our harbour clean (Leaflet)
- Keep Our Harbour Clean Report Marine Littering (Leaflet)
- The owner or agent or master of an ocean-going vessel from which it is intended to discharge polluting waste shall, not less than 72 hours prior to the arrival of the vessel, submit the duly completed Service Order Form to the Central Marine Office, Marine Department.
- Copies of this Notice and the Service Order Form may be obtained free of charge from the Central Marine Office, 3/F, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong.
- Details of the revised charging scheme are contained in the Legal Supplement No. 2 to the Hong Kong Government Gazette No. 18/2008 - Legal Notice 99 of 2008.