A dynamic petroleum oil spill response team equipped with both surface spill recovery and chemical dispersing systems
- Pollution Control Unit is responsible for preventing and cleaning up oil discharges into sea and harbour cleansing services. It regularly inspects vessels bunkering/transferring oil in Hong Kong waters and advises the masters on the precautions to be taken.
- It also checks oil terminals to ensure that their anti-oil pollution equipment is in good order.
- It is on call 24 hours a day. Reports of oil discharges can be made to the Police or to the Vessel Traffic Centre (Tel (852)2233-7801) or to the Marine Emergency Centre (Tel (852)2233-7999)
- It operates a fleet of specialised refuse collection vessels, including three Sea Cleaners, and about 80 contractor vessels to provide a refuse scavenging and collection service.
- A total of about 12,000 tonnes of floating refuse and about 4,000 tonnes of domestic refuse from vessels are collected annually. Littering the waters of Hong Kong is an offence and liable to a fine of HK$10,000 and 6 months imprisonment.
- A 24-hour hotline (Tel (852)1823) has been established for complaints about floating refuse and receiving reports on matters concerning marine littering and floating refuse.
- We are one in keeping our harbour clean (Leaflet)
- Keep Our Harbour Clean Report Marine Littering (Leaflet)