- The Transport and Housing Bureau launched the Maritime and Aviation Training Fund (MATF) on 1 April 2014 to support the manpower training of the maritime and aviation industries. One of initiative under MATF is the Local Vessel Competency Enhancement Scheme (the Scheme). Under the Scheme, eligible applicant who passes the examination and successfully obtains the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate may receive a one-off financial incentive of HK$12,000. The Scheme is administered by the Marine Department (MD).
- The objective of the Scheme is to encourage more local Coxswain/Engine Operator Grade 3 Certificate holders to acquire Grade 2 Certificate qualification by providing financial incentive.
Format and level of support
- A successful applicant will be provided with a one-off financial incentive of HK$12,000. Incentive will be disbursed within 4 to 6 weeks upon receipt of an application.
- The amount will be disbursed to the applicant’s bank account provided in the Application Form.
- Each person who passes the examination and successfully obtains the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate can receive incentive from the Scheme once for each type of certificate.
- Incentive will be granted on a first-come-first served basis, until funding for the Scheme has been expended.
Persons who are eligible to apply
- The applicant must –
- be a resident of the HKSAR and lawfully employable in Hong Kong to work on the local vessels;
- not be in possession of any Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate; or any equivalent certificate before 1 April 2019; and
- the applicant has taken the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate examination (except local knowledge examination for coxswain certificate) conducted by Marine Department on or after 1 April 2019, and has passed the examination and granted the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate.
- Irrespective of the source of funding except from the schemes under MATF, applicants must not receive double benefits, i.e. they should not receive any other form of financial assistance, for acquiring their Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate when they are receiving incentive under the Scheme.
- Prospective applicants should submit their applications within four months after passing the examination and successfully obtaining the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate. If the eligible applicants have obtained a Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate or an Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate between the period from 1 April 2019 to the date of the launching of Scheme, they may make an application within 4 months from the date of the launching of Scheme. Late applications will normally not be accepted.
- Applicants should submit their completed Application Form and documentary proof in person during office hours to the Seafarer's Certification Section, Marine Department at Room 303, 3/F., Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong.
- Applicants should complete all sections of the Application Form, sign the form and attach as required a copy of all the documents stated in paragraph 12 below. Incomplete application forms will not be processed.
- In submitting the application form, applicants should attach a copy of each of the following:
Applicants should also produce the Hong Kong Identity Card and original copy of documents (a) and (b) for on-site verification by staff of MD.
- the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate / Engine Operator Grade 2 Certificate; and
- the first page of the bank passbook or monthly bank statement with the applicant’s name as account holder and the account number (name of the account holder must be the same as the name on the Hong Kong Identity Card).
- Applicants may be required to verify the information submitted and to provide supplementary information for processing the applications further.
- All documents submitted (including the application form and copies of the supporting documents) are not returnable. Applicants are advised to retain copies for their own reference.
- For enquiries, please contact Seafarer's Certification Section, Marine Department (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , Tel.: 2852 3069).
Download the application form (PDF)