Please downloadAdobe Acrobat Reader and install the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF files.
1. Under the Merchant Shipping (Local Vessels) (Safety and Survey) Regulation, a Class IV vessel that is of novel construction shall have plans approved, and shall be surveyed by the officer of Marine Department for issuing with a Certificate of Survey. Besides, all Class IV vessels under any of the following categories shall have plans approved, and shall be surveyed by the officer of Marine Department or Authorized Surveyor nominated by Authorized Organization for issuing with a Certificate of Survey by the officer of Marine Department:
2. A Class IV vessel is under any of the following categories but does not fall into the categories specified in para.1 shall have plans approved, and shall be surveyed by Authorized Surveyors/Authorized Organizations for issuing a Certificate of Inspection:
3. Under the Merchant Shipping (Local Vessels) (Certification and Licensing) Regulation, the owner must obtain the Director of Marine’s prior approval and endorsement on the vessel’s operating licence if the vessel is to be let for hire or reward.
4. List of vessels with operating licence endorsed to be let for hire or reward (PDF) showing that approval for the Class IV vessels to be let for hire or reward has been given by the Director.
5. For technical requirements of survey, please refer to our Code of Practice for Safety Standards for Class IV Vessels. (PDF)
6. For a Class IV vessel exclusively for pleasure purpose and is not let for hire or reward, and is not of the categories specified in para. 1 and 2 above, the hull, machinery and electrical installations should refer to the standards in Chapter III-B of the above Code of Practice but is not required approval of plan, survey and issuance of Certificate of Survey or Certificate of Inspection.
7. List of Authorized Surveyors/Authorized Organizations (PDF) can also be obtained at any District Marine Office.
8. Should owners and operators of pleasure vessels have any queries, please obtain information from any District Marine Office or contact Local Vessels Safety Section at telephone no. 2852 4444.