| Please download the Adobe Acrobat Reader and install the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF file.
Sea-going Training Incentive Scheme aims to encourage Hong Kong
youngsters to take on and complete sea-going training with a view
to developing their future careers in the port and maritime support
2. The incentive will be awarded to successful applicants on a
first-come-first-served basis, subject to the availability of
3. When the Scheme is over-subscribed, the date on which the
application is received by the Marine Department will be used
to determine eligibility.
4. Under the Scheme, a cadet will receive HK$6,000 per month from the Government during the individual stipulated training period which will qualify him/her to sit for the Class 3 Deck/Engineer Officer Examination. The incentive will be paid in arrears directly to the successful applicants by the Marine Department as a lump sum on completion of each employment contract up to the maximum training period of 18 months for Deck Cadet and 12 months for Engineer Cadet. Completion of each employment contract has to be certified by the employer. The cadet may also apply for the reimbursement of first examination fee after passing the examination.
5. Applicants who are serving cadets at the time of application
may have already completed part of the stipulated training period,
then, only those actual sea-going training which started after
the date of receipt of the application by the Marine Department
will be considered valid for incentive.
5a. For those applicants who have commenced maritime training programme recognized by the Marine Department before 1 July 2013 and take his/her first attempt for the Class 3 Engineer Officer Examination on or before 31 December 2016, he/she is required to attain cadetship training for a period not less than 6 months. The subsidy period is pitched at six months.
6. If the sea-going training contract was not drawn up in terms
of complete months, the subsidy should be paid on pro-rata basis.
7. No payment of the incentive or any part thereof will be made
to sea service of an uncompleted employment contract. Marine Department
will accept cadets with uncompleted contract for the award of
incentive if the contract is terminated by mutual agreement between
the company and the cadet and the reasons for the termination
are not due to the performance of the cadet.
8. Applications may be submitted in person or by post to the
Seafarers’ Certification Section, Marine Department, (3rd
Floor, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Hong Kong) 10 working days
in advance for approval before the commencement of his/her sea-going
training. Application can be made by post, fax (fax no. 2541 6754)
or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) together with copies of all supporting
documents if the applicant is at sea. The sea-going training which
started after the date of receipt of the application by the Marine
Department will be considered valid. Originals of documents should
not be sent by post, but should be produced to the Seafarers’
Certification Section, Marine Department within 14 working days
from the date of application. Applicants who are serving cadets
at sea at the time of application are allowed to submit the originals
of documents within 14 working days from the date of completion
of the employment contract.
9. Please enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope for receiving the result of your application.
1. The applicant must be a Hong Kong permanent resident.
2. The applicant must be a graduate from a maritime training
institute recognized by the Marine Department and his/her qualification
acquired should be of a level qualified him/her to sit for the
Class 3 Deck or Engineer Officer Examination held by the Marine
3. Final year student of a recognized maritime training programme
may also apply if he/she has already obtained an offer of employment
for sea-going training by the time of submitting the application.
4. The applicant must be registered as a seafarer with the Marine
5. The applicant must not have been granted double benefits i.e.
other kind of financial assistance granted for the purpose of
encouraging graduates from recognized maritime training institutes
to take on sea-going cadetship training for the same sea-going
Application for Sea-going Training Incentive Scheme as
Deck / Engineer Cadet
Pamphlet of Sea-Going Training Incentive Scheme