| Please download the Adobe Acrobat Reader and install the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF file.
1. The Sea-going Training Incentive Scheme aims to encourage Hong Kong youngsters to take on and complete sea-going training with a view to developing their future careers in the port and maritime support industries.
2. The incentive will be awarded to successful applicants on a first-come-first-served basis, subject to the availability of fund.
3. When the Scheme is over-subscribed, the date on which the application is received by the Marine Department will be used to determine eligibility.
4. The effective date of Incentive Phase 1 is 1st April, 2004.
5. The effective date of Incentive Phase 2 & Phase 3 is 1st April, 2018.
6. If the Return Date (the date returned to Hong Kong after the last of the employment agreement of the sea-going training) of applicant is before the effective date of Incentive Phase 2 & Phase 3 but who can fulfil the following criteria may also apply for Incentive Phase 2 and Phase 3:
- Any portion of the 12 months from the Return Date of applicant falls on/after the effective date and all the eligible criteria of Phase 2 have been fulfilled, applicant may obtain no more than 6 months of the Phase 2 incentive from the effective date to the passing date of examination, or to the last attempt of examination within the above-mentioned 12-month period.
- If applicant has worked on board as cadet after obtaining of CoC that fulfilled the criteria of paragraph 14 below, and any portion of the working period of his/her cadetship working period that falls on/after the effective date, applicant may obtain the Phase 3 incentive for such period after the effective date.
7. The application form must be completed in BLOCK LETTERS.
8. Applications for phase 1 may be submitted in person or by post to the Seafarers’ Certification Section, Marine Department, (3rd Floor, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Hong Kong) 10 working days in advance for approval before the commencement of his/her sea-going training. Application can be made by post, fax (fax no. 2541 6754) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) together with copies of all supporting documents if the applicant is at sea. The sea-going training which started after the date of receipt of the application by the Marine Department will be considered valid. Originals of documents should not be sent by post, but should be produced to the Seafarers’ Certification Section, Marine Department within 14 working days from the date of application. Applicants who are serving cadets at sea at the time of application are allowed to submit the originals of documents within 14 working days from the date of completion of the employment agreement.
9. Application for Phase 2 and Phase 3 shall be submitted in person to the Seafarers’ Certification Section, Marine Department, (3rd Floor, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong) upon their completion of required cadet on board training for examination, and before their first attempt of the Deck Officers Class 3 / Marine Engineer Officers Class 3 Examination.
Eligibility Criteria - Incentive Phase 1
10. The applicant must be a Hong Kong permanent resident.
11. The applicant must be a graduate from a maritime training institute recognized by the Marine Department and his/her qualification acquired should be of a level qualified him/her to sit for the Deck Officer Class 3 or Marine Engineer Officer Class 3 Examination held by the Marine Department.
12. Final year student of a recognized maritime training programme may also apply if he/she has already obtained an offer of employment for sea-going training by the time of submitting the application.
13. The applicant must be registered as a seafarer with the Marine Department.
14. The applicant must not have been granted double benefits i.e. other kind of financial assistance granted for the purpose of encouraging graduates from recognized maritime training institutes to take on sea-going cadetship training for the same sea-going training period.
Eligibility Criteria - Incentive Phase 2 & Phase 3
15. The applicant has been successfully enrolled for incentive Phase 1.
16. The applicant has successfully enrolled for a Deck Officers Class 3/ Marine Engineer Officers Class 3 Examination held by the Marine Department of Hong Kong and the examination will be held within 12 months from the Return Date of the applicant.
Incentive Phase 1 – Sea-going Training
17. Under the Scheme, a cadet will receive HK$6,000 per month from the Government during the individual stipulated training period which will qualify him/her to sit for the Deck Officer Class 3 / Marine Engineer Officer Class 3 Examination. The incentive will be paid in arrears directly to the successful applicants by the Marine Department as a lump sum on completion of each employment agreement up to the maximum training period of 18 months for Deck Cadet and 12 months for Engineer Cadet. Completion of each employment agreement has to be certified by the employer. The cadet may also apply for the reimbursement of first examination fee after passing the examination.
18. Applicants who are serving cadets at the time of application may have already completed part of the stipulated training period, then, only those actual sea-going training which started after the date of receipt of the application by the Marine Department will be considered valid for incentive.
Incentive Phase 2 – Preparation for Examination
19. After the cadet on board training period, applicant successfully enrolled for Marine Department Deck Officer Class 3 /Marine Engineer Officer Class 3 examination that to be held within 12 months from the Return date may apply for the incentive phase 2. Successful applicants will receive the incentive of HK$3,000 per month from the Government while they are preparing for the examination on shore for a maximum of 6 months. The right to incentive will start to accrue from the Return Date to the passing date of examination, or the last attempt of examination within the above-mentioned 12-month period.
20. Subject to the principles set out in paragraph 19 above and depending on the timing when the applicant takes or passes the examination, incentive payment from the Return Date will be made by three installments at most. The first two installments will be paid in the 3rd and 5th month and third installment will be paid in the 7th month or after the first attempt of the examination, whichever is later. Depends on the continuous eligibility of applicant, each installment of incentive will be equivalent to 2 months of incentive or less in pro rata basis for any incomplete month of shorter period.
21. If an applicant sits for the examination but fails in the phase 2 incentive period, the incentive will be accrued up to the examination date. If the applicant has successfully applied to resit the same examination within the above-mentioned 12-month period, the incentive will be accrued up to date of his last attempt of examination within the 12-month period, but will not exceed 6 months in total.
22. Applicants are required to sit for the Deck Officers Class 3 / Marine Engineer Officers Class 3 Examination within 12 months from the Return Date. The time limit for applicants who can produce reasonable proof that failure to attend was unavoidable and the reasons have been accepted by Marine Department for deferral of examination may be extended until the last examination date of the next round of examination. If an applicant fails to attend the examination within the above 12-month period without such reasonable proof, he/she will be required to pay back the Government all incentives already disbursed to him/her in this phase.
Incentive Phase 3 – working on board as cadet after obtaining of CoC
23. After the applicant has successfully passed the Deck Officers Class 3 / Marine Engineer Officers Class 3 Examination and obtained a Class 3 Deck Officer/Marine Engineer Officer Class 3 Certificate of Competency from Hong Kong Marine Department, the applicant will receive an incentive payment of HK$6,000 per month from the Government in arrears as a lump sum on completion of each employment agreement up to a maximum of 6 months if he/she works in a sea-going ship as a Deck Cadet or Engineer Cadet of the same discipline of his/her Certificate of Competency.
Qualifying Sea Service
24. Qualifying sea services of phase 1 must be performed as cadet in either deck or engine department in accordance with his/her discipline.
25. Qualifying sea services of phase 3 must be performed as cadet in either deck or engine department of the same discipline of applicant’s Certificate of Competency in a sea-going ship after the applicant obtains a valid Deck Officer Class 3 / Marine Engineer Officer Class 3 Certificate of Competency from Marine Department. The applicant must have never been employed as an officer of sea-going ships.
26. Applicant must prove their sea service by providing the Seafarer’s Employment Registration Book and written confirmation from their employer for verification. In the case of service performed in ships that are foreign ships where Seafarer’s Employment Registration Book records cannot be provided, it is acceptable for the applicant to provide a written confirmation by the Master of the ships concerned, or by the Consul or some other recognized official of the country of registry.
27. Completion of each employment agreement has to be certified by the employer. No payment of the incentive or any part thereof will be made to sea service of an uncompleted employment agreement. Marine Department will accept applicants with uncompleted agreement for the award of incentive if the agreement is terminated by mutual agreement between the company and the applicant and the reasons for the termination are not due to the dissatisfaction of performance of the applicant.
28. Applicant must submit a written notification of joining a ship with the term of contract to Marine Department (fax: 2541 6754 or email: email@example.com) before joining the ship. Only sea-service commencing after the date of receipt of the notification by the Marine Department can be considered eligible for Phase 3 incentive.
Calculation of Qualifying Sea Services
29. If the eligible sea-service was not drawn up in terms of complete months, the incentive will be paid on pro-rata basis.
30. Sea service as entered in Seafarer’s Employment Registration Book will be reckoned by the calendar months, that is, the time included between any given day in any month and the preceding day of the following month, both inclusive. The number of complete months from the commencement of the period, ascertained in this way, should be computed, after which the number of odd days should be counted. The day of which the employment agreement commences, as well as that on which it terminates, should both be included, all leave of absence excluded and all odd days added together and reckoned at thirty days to the month. The followings are examples:
|28 June to 4 August
||1 month 8 days
|15 August to 18 October
||2 months 4 days
Seafarers’ Certification Section
3rd Floor, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong
Tel.: 2852 3069
Fax: 2541 6754
Application for Sea-going Training Incentive Scheme – Phase 1
Application for Sea-going Training Incentive Scheme – Phase 2 and Phase 3
Flowchart of Sea-going Training Incentive Scheme
Pamphlet of Sea-Going Training Incentive Scheme (Phase 1)