1. To discharge the obligations under the international maritime conventions, the Marine Department has implemented the Flag State Quality Control (FSQC) system to monitor and upkeep the quality of Hong Kong-registered cargo ships. The FSQC system consists of the following features :
2. The quality of ships can be reflected through a combination of factors such as:
Evaluation of the above quality factors including ship’s pervious year records of ports of calls will be carried out to select ships for FSQC Audit. The selection will include a small number of ships chosen by random.
3. Noting the nature of the PSC deficiencies recorded, they are considered largely caused by lack of systematic maintenance where the root causes vary from manager to manager. The FSQC Audit serves to verify not only the general condition of the shortlisted ships but also the implementation of systematic maintenance on board. Should the audit reveals issues with the maintenance system, MD will work with the ship management company to identify the root causes of quality deterioration of the ship so that appropriate solutions can be formulated and implemented to improve the ship’s quality.
4. If the ship’s condition is considered deteriorated beyond reasonable quality, an Extended Inspection shall be carried out by the RO of the ship.
5. In the case a Hong Kong registered ship is under PSC detention, an Extended Inspection to be carried out by the RO of the ship may be requested by MD. Thereafter an FSQC Audit will be followed.
6. FSQC Audit will normally be carried out at Singapore, Hong Kong, some convenient ports in China, and Europe where we have our surveyors stationed. The coverage has been further extended to main ports along the coast of Australia. FSQC Audit normally takes less than 6 hours under daylight.
7. Nine ROs have been authorized to carry out surveys and certification for Hong Kong-registered cargo ships. MD will continuously monitor the performance of ROs through FSQC Audits, participation in DOC audits and/or SMC audits, evaluation of RO's responsibility for the detention of Hong Kong-registered ships under port State control, etc. The report of ROs' performance is published annually on the website of this Department.
(embedding the report with webpage address https://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/publication/publications/reports/class_per.html)
8. The Pre-Registration Quality Control (PRQC) System ensures ships joining the Hong Kong Shipping Register are of good quality. MD will, on receiving a ship registration application, carry out a desktop evaluation of the quality level of the ship taking into account various quality factors including but not limited to the ship age, ship type, PSC deficiency and detention records, existing flag and manager, and classification society survey records, to consider if the ship warrants an onboard PRQC Assessment. The onboard assessment shall be carried out by one of the classification societies recognized by MD as RO.
9. The assessment results will be evaluated by MD for the decision on accepting the ship into the Register.
10. Details of the FSQC and PRQC system can be found in the Hong Kong Merchant Shipping Information Note 7/2020, its annex 1 and annex 2.
MSIN 7/2020 - https://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/msnote/pdf/msin2007.pdf
Annex 1 - https://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/msnote/pdf/msin2007anx1.pdf
Annex 2 - https://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/msnote/pdf/msin2007anx2.pdf
11. For general inquiries on PRQC and FSQC matters, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com respectively. If you require further assistance, please address to Senior Surveyor/Quality Assurance via email, fax, or by telephone.
email : firstname.lastname@example.org,
fax: (852) 2545 0556,
tel: (852) 2852 4504