A dynamic petroleum oil spill response team equipped with both surface spill recovery and chemical dispersing systems
- Pollution Control Unit is responsible for preventing and cleaning up oil discharges into sea and harbour cleansing services. It regularly inspects vessels bunkering/transferring oil in Hong Kong waters and advises the masters on the precautions to be taken.
- It also checks oil terminals to ensure that their anti-oil pollution equipment is in good order.
- It is on call 24 hours a day. Reports of oil discharges can be made to the Police or to the Vessel Traffic Centre (Tel (852)2233-7801) or to the Marine Emergency Centre (Tel (852)2233-7999)
- It operates a fleet of specialised refuse collection vessels, including three Sea Cleaners, and more than 70 contractor vessels to provide a refuse scavenging and collection service.
- A total of about 12,000 tonnes of floating refuse and 4,000 tonnes of domestic refuse are collected annually. Littering the waters of Hong Kong is an offence and liable to a fine of HK$10,000 and 6 months imprisonment.
- A 24-hour hotline (Tel (852)1823) has been established for complaints about floating refuse and receiving reports on matters concerning marine littering and floating refuse.
- We are one in keeping our harbour clean (Leaflet)
- Keep Our Harbour Clean Report Marine Littering (Leaflet)